Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm not exactly a "foodie" . . .

That's the new term used to describe those incessant, food-obsessed individuals who seek out the latest restaurants, donning food creations from the most prestiged chefs, who supposedly combine food & art. Come on, we all know what I'm talking about. . .

I think one picture proves my point.

Yes, I agree. The individuals who can create something this artistic, while still edible, do have a gift. However, I'm not intrigued by their meticulous positioning of the items, so much so, that this entree has probably seen 15 minutes of finger-fondling before it reaches your table. Another downside, who is this going to feed? The baby? It's one, bacon-wrapped prawn for goodness' sakes! I googled "elegant food" & found this stunning creation, so I honestly have absolutely no idea what one might pay for it. However, I'd guess it's on an appetizer menu somewhere in the ballpark of about $18.95. I mean, don't forget, that wasn't one, but two sprigs of grass!

Chicago is known for its world-renowned chefs & their nearly impossible-to-get-into restaurants where foodies book reservations 6 months in advance to try this over-priced, over-handled Prawn a la ______...... ( your guess is as good as mine!)

Although, I must say, in the short time I've been in Chicago, I have fallen in love with so much of the food! I don't need the frills or the extra dollar bills, but I'm a Kansas girl & come on, we were raised on meat & potatoes!

I. love. food.

..... & I've found so much of it here, that is non-pretentious & absolutely delicious! Chicago is a City of Immigrants as they say & what do people bring with them, beside their rich cultures & traditions? FOOD!!! It's heaven & I can't wait to start sharing it with you all. The challenge is, where to start. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting hungry just thinking about it. I want to be a foodie, but tend to stick to the norm ;)

Sarah

Nancy Evans said...

Give me a box of Cheez-Its and I'm happy.